7C
Delhi
Tuesday, January 26, 2021

China finally admits it lost ‘less than 20’ soldiers in clash with India

- Advertisement -

Indian, Chinese armies hold Major General-level talks for third straight dayNew Delhi, June 22 (IANS) A day after Indian media reported that India had handed over dead bodies of 16 Chinese soldiers to the People”s Liberation Army (PLA), China on Monday for the first time admitted that it lost “less than 20″ troops during the violent face-off along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Ladakh last week.

Until now, even as New Delhi had officially announced that 20 of its soldiers were killed in a clash with the PLA in Ladakh”s Galwan valley, Beijing had remained tight-lipped about its casualties.

The Global Times, the mouthpiece of the Chinese Community Party regime in Beijing, in a piece quoting “Chinese experts” on Monday said that “the reason why China did not release the number” of its casualties, is that China “wants to avoid an escalation.”

READ ALSO:  58 injured soldiers would resume duty in a week, says Indian Army

“If China released the number which is less than 20, the Indian government would again come under pressure,” the Global Times tweeted quoting an “observer” from the piece.

The Chinese “analysts” and “observers” also accused Indian officials of placating nationalists by “making speculations on China”s casualties to satisfy Indian hardliners, such as speculating that China lost more soldiers than India.”

The Global Times report referred to Union minister and former Army Chief Gen. V.K. Singh who on Saturday had claimed that the number of PLA soldiers killed in the stand-off in the Galwan valley was more than 40.

The analysts in Beijing also threatened India saying, “India will be more humiliated than after the 1962 border conflict with China if it cannot control anti-China sentiment at home and has a new military conflict with its biggest neighbour.”

READ ALSO:  Aim to cover 25 cr with Covid vaccine by July: Harsh Vardhan

Prime Minister Narendra Modi, as per the observers, “is trying to respond to the nationalists and hardliners with tough talk, but he understands his country cannot have further conflict with China so he is also making an effort to cool tensions.”

READ ALSO:  58 injured soldiers would resume duty in a week, says Indian Army

Quoting Chinese military observers, the Global Times said, that “an escalated, large-scale military conflict involving main Chinese troops, if that were to happen, would mean all out war just like the war in 1962, with very disproportionate casualty figures unfavourable to India.”

–IANS

India Updates
India Updates is an independent news & Information website. Follow us for regular updates on News and Information.

Follow Us On

Related News

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Trending Topics In India

Covid 19 India Updates

Trending News In India

Trending Showbiz

Trending Sports

Latest Trending News In India

Former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe among 119 Padma winners for 2021

New Delhi, Jan 25 (IANS) Former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is among 119 recipients whom the government on Monday selected for Padma awards--one...

President hails farmers, scientists and soldiers on R-Day eve

New Delhi, Jan 25 (IANS) On the eve of Republic Day, President Ram Nath Kovind said justice, liberty, equality, and fraternity, outlined in the...

Doorstep delivery of subsidized ration in Delhi from March

New Delhi, Jan 25 (IANS) Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said on Monday that people of Delhi will start receiving subsidised ration (food grains)...

38% Indian women working in tech industry prefer WFH: Survey

New Delhi, Jan 25 (IANS): Almost 38 per cent Indian women working in a tech or IT industry prefer working at home to working in...