Beijing, March 1 (IANS) The death toll due to the novel coronavirus outbreak in China has increased to 2,870, health authorities said on Sunday, while the number of confirmed cases has increased to 79,824.
Chinese health authorities said they have received reports of 573 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 35 more deaths on the Chinese mainland on Saturday.
Among the deaths, 34 were in Hubei Province and one in Henan Province, according to the National Health Commission.
Meanwhile, 132 new suspected cases were reported, said the commission.
Also on Saturday, 2,623 people were discharged from hospital after recovery, while the number of severe cases decreased by 299 to 7,365.
The overall confirmed cases on the mainland reached 79,824 by Saturday midnight, including 35,329 patients who were still being treated, 41,625 patients who had been discharged after recovery, and 2,870 people who had died of the disease.
The commission added that 851 people were still suspected of being infected with the virus.
Coronavirus cases surge to 100 in France
The number of coronavirus cases in Italy has jumped to 400 as French Health General Director Jerome Salomon announced 43 new cases of the disease on Saturday.
“This tally is due to an important cluster in l”Oise which has 36 cases,” Salomon said, adding that “it”s necessary to curb the virus” evolution, slow its spread and protect areas with little or no infection”.
The infected people had either interacted with already known patients or travelled recently to zones of risk, Xinhua reported.
Earlier in the day, Health Minister Olivier Veran said “all gatherings of more than 5,000 people in confined spaces will be cancelled as well as “events in an open environment where people can mix with others from areas where the virus is possibly circulating.”
As a result, a Paris half-marathon that was due to be held on Sunday with more than 40,000 runners has been canceled, and the annual farm show will close a day early on Saturday.
US reports 1st COVID-19 death, imposes new travel restrictions
Announcing the first coronavirus linked death in the country, US President Donald Trump has issued new travel restrictions to Iran, Italy and South Korea while maintaining that the overall risk to the US is low but can turn suddenly.
US is banning travel to Iran and urging Americans not to travel to Italy and South Korea.
“We advise all Americans not to travel to Italy and South Korea”, Vice President Mike Pence said at a hastily convened White House briefing on Saturday afternoon.
Coronavirus has spread to nearly 60 countries, more than 85,000 people worldwide have contracted the virus and 2,900 have died.
Officials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said the the first coronavirus victim in the US died in the state of Washington.
The Governor of Washington state has declared a state of emergency on Saturday.