New Delhi, Feb 27 (IANS) A total of 113 companies of Central Armed Police Force (CAPF) and Delhi Police are deployed in the strife-torn areas of the national capital to maintain law and order, the Union Home Ministry said on Thursday.
The Ministry said that the deployment of the security personnel was made a day after the deadly violence broke out in various areas of northeast Delhi that include most affected localities of Bhjanpura, Chand Bagh, Maujpur, Kardampuri, Jafrabad, Ashok Nagar, Shiv Vihar and many other nearby places.
Asserting that the “situation is under control”, the Ministry said that a total of 73 companies of CAPF or paramilitary forces were deployed in the city on Monday in addition to 40 companies of Delhi Police.
One company of CAPF or Delhi Police consists of around 105 to 115 personnel.
As per the calculation, a total of 113 companies or around 12,000 security personnel from CAPF and Delhi Police have been deployed in the violent hit areas.
The Ministry”s clarification came after reports in some sections of media raised questions about shortage of police personnel in the city which led to the turmoil in the city which began after a clash between groups of anti-CAA or pro-CAA supporters.
“As against cited shortages of police personnel in Delhi, it is stated that there is adequate strength of forces on the ground since this Monday. Based on professional assessment, 73 companies of CAPFs deployed in addition to 40 Coys of Delhi Police. Situation is under control,” Ministry spokesperson Vasudha Gupta said.
Police conducting raids to arrest rioters
A day after the Delhi High Court talked tough on alleged inaction of security forces during violence in northeast parts of the national capital, Delhi Police set up special teams that were conducting raids on Thursday in the NCR-Delhi to arrest the rioters.
Till now, around 250 persons were rounded up, but many were sent back home as their involvement in rioting was not found. Around 100 persons still in police custody had provided useful information on those involved in violence and arson and were absconding.
A DCP-rank officer said that situation in the northeast Delhi had improved between Tuesday night and Wednesday and no untoward incident had been reported ever since. This had enabled authorities to spare police officials to conduct raids on Thursday to arrest the suspected rioters.
These teams comprises officers and jawans of police stations concerned, apart from those from the Special Cell and Crime Branch.
“Though teams are conducting raids to catch hold of all those involved in arson and looting, we are in particular looking for an area councillor who is absconding ever since his role in the violence came to light,” an Additional Commissioner of Police, who wished not to be named, told IANS.
An Assistant Commissioner of Police posted in northeast Delhi said that so far the death toll was over 30 in Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital and Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Narayan Hospital and that the district police was busy getting the post-mortems on the bodies conducted and completing other formalities.
Drones monitoring situation in violence-hit Delhi areas
The camera drones pressed into service by the police and security forces in the violence-affected neighbourhoods of east Delhi have been playing a crucial role in checking any further escalation in tension. The area has witnessed violent clashes around the CAA that has claimed over 30 lives so far.
According to sources, the local residents are also assisting the security forces in their bid to maintain peace by providing information on “suspicious elements and movements”.
On Wednesday night, security forces monitored the area with a drone camera. The residents were also approached by the security forces to assist them in controlling the tense situation.
Surveillance started with the help of drone cameras in Maujpur and Kabir Nagar areas as it got dark on Wednesday.
A Maujpur resident said: “The presence of paramilitary forces has brought a sense of security to the people here.”
“People here are feeling relieved due to the presence of security forces. We have also maintained a vigilance in the streets along with security forces after midnight,” another resident said.
Missed exams, don’t worry: CBSE assures Delhi kids
The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) on Thursday assured all students in northeast Delhi who failed to appear in the Class 10 and 12 board examination owing to riots, to not to worry.
The CBSE postponed the Class 10 and Class 12 exams scheduled for Wednesday and Class 12 English exam scheduled for Thursday, in the wake of the violence in northeast Delhi that claimed at least 33 lives and left 200 injured after four days of violence since February 23.
It said it would announce new dates for re-examination soon.