• Home
  • World
More

    US, China close to finalising sections of trade deal

    Today's Latest

    Amol Palekar set to return to stage after 25 years

    Mumbai, Nov 11 (IANS) Veteran actor-director Amol Palekar will be returning to the stage after 25 years with a Hindi...

    IFFI short film section to open with film on Parrikar

    Panaji, Nov 11 (IANS) The opening film of Shorts IFFI 50, a short film event, at the 50th edition of...

    Himachal, Dutch companies sign MoUs of Rs 200 crore

    Shimla, Nov 11 (IANS) The Himachal Pradesh government and Dutch companies have signed 14 memorandum of understanding of Rs 200...

    Popular Today

    India Updates
    India Updates is an independent news & Information website. Follow us for regular updates on News and Information.

    Washington, Oct 26 (IANS) The Office of the US Trade Representative (USTR) has said that Washington and Beijing were close to finalising sections of an accord that aims to put an end to the ongoing trade war between te two economic giants.

    US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin made the announcement on Friday in an official statement after discussions with Chinese Vice Premier Liu He about “phase one” of the agreement, reports Efe news.

    - Advertisement -

    The negotiators “made headway on specific issues and the two sides are close to finalizing some sections of the agreement. Discussions will go on continuously at the deputy level, and the principals will have another call in the near future”, the statement said.

    Minutes later US President Donald Trump said from the White House that negotiations were going “very well” and “a lot of good things are happening with China”.

    “They want to make a deal very badly,” he added.

    These talks are aimed at smoothing off the rough edges of an agreement that should be signed by Trump and his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping, during the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Forum (APEC) to be held in Santiago on November 16-17.

    Trump announced earlier this month a partial accord meant to establish a truce in the trade war with China, which has gone on for almost a year and a half, while shelving his plans to boost tariffs on imports from the Asian giant.

    He described the pact as “phase one” in a process that could be rolled out in three phases, and said he trusts the initial deal can be signed together with Xi during the APEC summit.

    For its part, China committed itself to increase purchases of US agricultural products up to $40 billion or $50 billion, a sum that, according to Trump, is a vast improvement, because “what they’ve been doing now, I believe, is about $8 billion, right?”

    Neither of the two governments, however, has yet published any details of the accord, but Trump said that it includes some measures related to the devaluation of the Chinese currency and the subject of intellectual property, though it does not deal with the forced transferal of technology to China, a subject to be discussed in the second phase.

    Nor does the accord settle the matter of vetoes on exports affecting China’s giant Huawei telecom company, something being negotiated in a parallel process.

    The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has warned about the global effects of the trade war between the two economic titans, and has consequently lowered the growth forecasts both for the US and China during this year and the next.

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here

    Must Read

    Socialists win Spain polls amid far right surge

    Madrid, Nov 11 (IANS) The Spanish Socialist Party (PSOE) of acting Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez has won most of the...

    Discontent in ITS officers of BSNL/MTNL after govt revival package

    New Delhi, Nov 12 (IANS) At a time when the revival package for BSNL and MTNL has been announced, demoralised Indian Telecom Service (ITS) officers...

    Army’s ‘Operation Maa’ weans away 60 youth from terror groups

    New Delhi, Nov 12 (IANS) The Indian Army has weaned away nearly 60 local youth of Jammu and Kashmir, who had been recruited by Pakistan-backed...

    Rajnath hands over Rs 3 crore to two defence start-ups

    New Delhi, Nov 11 (IANS) Defence Minister Rajnath Singh handed over Rs 3 crore to two start-ups in the defence sector, to help them build...

    Media manhandled at JNU students’ protest

    New Delhi, Nov 11 (IANS) The protest on Monday by students of Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), against the draft hostel manual and a proposed fee...

    More Articles Like This